Virginia Department of Accounts Mission Statement and Code of Ethics
To provide a uniform system of accounting, financial reporting, and internal control adequate to
protect and account for the Commonwealth's financial resources, while supporting and enhancing the recognition of Virginia as the best managed state in the union.
Code of Ethics
As employees of the Commonwealth of Virginia and its Department of Accounts, we will:
- Dedicate our efforts toward earning the respect, trust, and confidence of elected and appointed officials, those with whom we work, and the public.
- Commit to the highest ideals in the stewardship of public resources.
- Exercise prudence and integrity in managing the Commonwealth's finances.
- Provide all reports and information in conformance with applicable laws, regulations, and professional standards.
- Strive for professional excellence by maintaining and enhancing professional knowledge, skills, and abilities for ourselves and our colleagues.
- Maintain and promote nonpartisanship in our professional dealings.
- Act with integrity in all relationships.
- Strive to provide performance and counsel of the highest quality.
- Treat all persons in an evenhanded, respectful, and courteous manner.
- Abide by Virginia's Standards of Conduct for Employees and related regulations.
- Hold ourselves accountable for adhering to this Code of Ethics.
As employees of the Commonwealth of Virginia and its Department of Accounts, we will not:
- Allow conflicts of interest between ourselves and our professional roles.
- Use public resources for personal gain.
- Knowingly sign, subscribe to, or permit issuance of any information that contains a misstatement or omits a material fact.
- Knowingly conduct or condone any illegal or improper activity.