State Payroll Operations
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-10 - September 2, 2015
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-09 - August 7, 2015
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-08 - July 24, 2015
- VSDP Worksheet Update - July 27, 2015
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-07 - July 1, 2015
- New CIPPS Training Materials Available - June 24, 2015
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-06 - May 26, 2015
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-05 - Revised June 2, 2015
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-04 - April 20, 2015
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-03 - Revised April 10, 2015
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-02 - February 19, 2015
- Payroll Bulletin #2015-01 - December 8, 2014
State Payroll Operations - Overview
State Payroll Operations is responsible for running the largest of the state's payroll and leave systems. Most state employees
(100,000-plus) are currently served by DOA's central payroll and leave system, CIPPS, a heavily modified version of Infor (formerly GEAC)
Millennium software. Eight of the largest state-supported universities operate independent payroll systems serving approximately
one-third of the state workforce.
In addition to running the system that calculates and disburses salaries and wages, State Payroll Operations is also responsible
for federal and state tax compliance. This includes implementing system modifications, developing policies and procedures, and
training users. Other central activities include federal tax depositing and reporting, payroll accounting, accounting and
disbursement processing for benefit deductions, payroll auditing, and payroll system end-user training.
State Payroll Operations - Organization
Agency Assistance and Training
This team is responsible for providing agency users procedural assistance on the processing features of the CIPPS Payroll and
Leave Accounting systems. They are available to the user community on a daily basis to respond to inquiries or problem
resolution. This team conducts the Introductory Payroll and Leave training programs on a semi-annual basis as well as develops
and presents topic specific training courses for new systems features. This team also tests system enhancements and software
version upgrades and establishes processing and procedural guidelines.
This team also works with central staff, agency users and DOA Systems and Programming staff to execute mass transactions,
design and write special report writer programs, develop system requirements, and run system tests related to system
This team is responsible for accounting, reconciliation and disbursement processing for employee payroll and benefit programs
including, healthcare, flexible benefits, deferred compensation, and CVC. Other activities include preparation
of IRS form 941 (Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return) for all CIPPS agencies, release of CIPPS checkwrites into CARS,
reconciliation of payroll expenditures in CARS to disbursements by the Treasurer of Virginia, and administering Millennium
password security for all CIPPS users.
This team is mutually responsible with agency payroll staffs for ensuring that all payrolls are processed accurately and timely.
Activities include, scheduling payroll production jobs, problem resolution, payroll certification monitoring, checkwrite
reconciliation, payroll report requests, recovery and distribution, direct deposit and tax deposit file transmissions, and direct deposit program administration.
Payroll Statistics (for CY 2014):
- $3.8 billion in annual gross payroll processed through CIPPS
- 24,065 direct deposit notices
- 2,071,548 paperless (web) notices
- 18,622 paychecks
- 121,696 W-2's issued
- 162 individual federal identification numbers - 941 tax reporting