Payroll Service Bureau
In Chapter 912 of the FY 97/98 Appropriation Act, the General Assembly approved the establishment of a service center at the Department of Accounts for processing agency level Payroll, Leave Accounting and certain Benefits data entry functions for selected agencies. This service center, known as the Payroll Service Bureau ("Bureau"), was created to achieve economies of scale, while alleviating agencies' administrative burdens.
In July 1996, the Bureau began operations, supporting approximately 1,780 employees in 17 agencies.
Since that time, it has grown to its present support level of approximately 16,000 employees in
The Bureau is comprised of a staff of twenty-eight, including a director, two assistant directors, twenty-one payroll accountants (Payroll/ Benefits Analysts) and four Lead Payroll/Benefits Analysts, with each Payroll/Benefits Analyst supporting an average of 650 salaried and wage employees. To ensure strong customer service levels, each agency is assigned a Payroll/Benefits Analyst and a Lead Payroll/Benefits Analyst, who are responsible for coordinating activities and communications with the participating agency's personnel and for performing the services delineated below.
Services Offered by the Bureau
- Payroll Processing - Payroll processing, including VSDP benefit calculations, and preparation of all payroll-related certifications and reconciliations.
- Leave Accounting - Provided the participating agency uses the CIPPS Leave Accounting System, the Bureau performs leave data entry, review and audit of leave information, and prepares the annual Leave Liability Attachment required by DOA's Financial Reporting directives.
- Reconciliations and Information Returns - The Bureau prepares the following reconciliations and information returns on behalf of the participating agency. Items requiring agency authorization are forwarded to the agency in sufficient time to allow management's review prior to the submission deadline. Other items are forwarded directly to the requesting authority.
Items Forwarded to Agency for Authorization Prior to Submission to Requesting Authority
- Healthcare Reconciliation
- Quarterly Certification of Taxable Wages
- Quarterly VEC Unemployment Return and Work Site Reporting
- Fiscal Year-end Leave Liability Attachment
- Annual Certification of W-2 Totals
- 1,500 Hour Wage Employee Tracking
Items Directly Submitted to Requesting Authority
- Reconciliation of VRS Retirement, Group Life and Long Term Disability Expenses
- Non-Virginia State Withholding remittance of taxes
- EPR Reporting
- CIPPS/PMIS Compare Explanations
- Gross Pay Difference Justifications
- VEC New Hire Verification
- Control Totals of Taxable Wages and Taxes Withheld
- "10 to 33" Reconciliation of Taxable Wages
- Preparation of annual information returns for reciprocal states
A detailed description of the services provided by the Bureau ("Business Process Overview")
is available at this link . This document includes the delineation of participating agency and Bureau responsibilities.
Additional Information About the PSB
Benefits to Agencies Resulting From Participation in the PSB
Frequently Asked Questions
List of Participating Agencies